Tuesday, June 5, 2007

International Keyboards



I´m back! After a weekend in Mexico City (experiences which will be highlighted on a different post), I have finally arrived in the town of Guanajuato - and today is my first opportunity to be back online. I´m here sitting in a tiny internet cafe with no more than 6 other computers surrounding me. It is 10 pesos per hour to use the internet (that is roughly 1 dollar an hour - and I´ve heard there are cheaper cafes, those I have yet to find.)

Everything in this internet cafe seems normal... a PC is a PC is a PC, right?

Well, not quite. Since everything is in Spanish, it´s a bit disorienting when you log onto Google and you´re presented with "buscar" and "ir" instead of "search" and "go"

Logging into my hotmail account was interesting because I couldn´t find the "@" symbol on the keyboard to type in my email address. Shift-2 renders ´quotation marks´ so it took me several shift-this and alt-that to finally find which combination completed this puzzle. That ate 50 cents, I mean, 5 pesos.

Popups are another thing... usually I´ll accept, accept, accept when random "do you trust this site" popups appear . But now, I´m not even sure what I´m actually accepting. I guess when my bank account appears to have ZERO value, I´ll know that I had accepted one of those "a third party can view" or "some items on site not secure" popups.

Well, I suppose this is one way to learn spanish.
Just wanted to send an "hola" to everyone!

No comments: